25 February 2007

Absence of Technology

Pip! Fssst... Oh dear, the television has just exploded. Shit. I'm gonna miss Coronation Street in half an hour. Oh wait, I just remembered, I don't watch crap telly. Phew! Still, the television going bust is not what you want in today's modern society of Hotel Babylon, Ugly Betty and Lilies (only some of these I watch by the way- my TV life is not as proactive as some). I just hope World's Wildest Police Chase videos comes out on DVD quite soon, I'll miss the last three episodes.

In my house, we don't have broadband. In my house, we don't have Sky HD. In my house, we don't even have an iPod docking station. We seem to be stuck in 2002. And that means the hurt of England's world cup catastrophe, the boredom of Ferrari dominating F1, and the pain of S-Club 7, is still rife.

After the controlled explosion that sent acrid smoke throughout the house, our beloved (actually, I hated it. It didn't have teletext) 1985 Sony Trinitron 20" television had eloped to the world of broken televisions. Otterspool waste dump, to be precise. That's right people, since last Monday, we have been crowding round a TV that predates me and scart leads. Thank God for RF adaptors.

Now however, we are all huddled around my mothers first television: a 1987 colour portable 13" Ingersol Television system! Yet again, it predates me and scart leads, and doesn't even have a remote or teletext. The origin of this TV is actually my bedroom. Losing this has the added side effects of no PS2. Sigh.

The one thing right now that I would like more than a Digital-SLR camera, the latest MacBook computer, Broadband, iPod docking station, Sky HD (with RF adaptor: Ingersol is scartless remember) or tickets to see Liverpool against Sheffield today, is a modest (not asking for much here) 26" Panasonic with double scart and built-in Freeview. Price tag: £499 ($899?). Live a little dear parents.

I'll never be as happy as this pair



In other news, the allotment season has started again. That means regular (twice weekly) trips down to our squalid patch of land to plant potatoes and chard (yuk :-§ ). My usual job is to remove chunks of broken glass that seem to mysteriously accumulate on our soil. I am convinced our neighbors sprinkle it on our plot when we're not there. Last year was just the start. Now its time for full scale mass production of oddly shaped carrots.

6 comments:

b. said...

i'll have you know Torquer, that even i know that Coronation Street is not as bad as it looks...

ok... maybe it is... but still.

I have 2 channels. or as we call it here: "Farmer Vision"..

CBC and the French Channel. both of which give me all the variety i need... or maybe not. I don't usually watch it... but still.

violet said...

When I went to my parents' for xmas I spent several entire days constantly flicking through all Pa Violet's Sky channels, as there is so little to do in my hometown I even got bored of drinking at a quarter of London prices. I found a total of four programmes I actually wanted to watch and those were all on Discovery or History, so I could've just got a book out of the library really. Sky's overrated, as is most telly. You'll live.

I feel your pain about non-attendance on Saturday, especially given the rare sighting of Mr Fowler in the vicinity of a football.

Crashdummie said...

Not many ppl will be as happy as that pair - that's why it's called commercial ;)

Gaz said...

You should get in touch with social service's and tell them what a deprived life your having,you poor soul,god love you.

Jingo said...

I need an Ipod docking station... what do you recommend?

And does it drain the battery?

Torquer said...

Yup, TV has been pretty poor recently. I did actually watch the last episode of Lilies on Friday. The drama nearly killed me.

The only good things about Sky (I think) are the sports. They seem to have bought everything: football, cricket, err...golf.