20 February 2007

Break! What Break?

Although its name does not specifically imply a holiday, you would naturally assume that 'half-term' was some kind of break from the continual grind of arduous college life. Nope. Here in Liverpool, our tutors have been specifically informed by the governors of the school to lay on as much work as possible to keep our tired little minds churning away throughout the whole of February.

In reality, half-terms were designed by the government as a means of cost cutting across the country. Some distant and probably now deceased Chancellor of the Exchequer was told by the equally dead Prime Minister to save money on Education. My bet it went something like this:

"I have a cunning plan, Prime Minister," chuckled the Chancellor hysterically.
"What's that PM-wannabe?" answered the Prime Minister.
"We will send all of the children home once a term, and call it 'half-term'! That way, we can set them lots of work over the holiday. They'll still be educated to the same standard, because teachers these days are just like having none whatsoever and then we'll save a bundle of money. Less teachers to employ, less utility bills to pay, schools can be rented out for rock concerts and WI days and we'll have more money to spend on invading other countries," the Chancellor rabbled on, some drool coming from the side of his mouth.
"Brilliant, I like it Chancellor," smiled the PM.
"Now can I be Prime Minister?" he pleaded.
"No," scorned his nemesis.

So, to sum up, I have the following work to complete over the week:
Business Studies coursework (approx. 3 hours)
Business Studies exam revision (approx. 2 hours)
English essay (approx. 2 hours)
Read Of Mice and Men for English revision (approx. 2 hours)
Geography coursework- all of it! (approx. 5 hours)
Physics Challenge revision and practice papers (approx. 3 hours)
Physics coursework (approx. 2 hours)
Additional Maths revision (approx. 2 hours)
Teach myself Chemistry GCSE and complete coursework -teacher is downright lazy- (approx. 5 hours)
Biology homework and revision (approx. 2 hours)
Citizenship homework, coursework and revision (approx. 2 hours)

Total learning/revision/coursework time: 30 HOURS

Divide this by 9 days and you get 3 hours and 20 minutes of work each day. It might not sound like much when reading this. Then you have to introduce the fact that I have to collect a 6 year old brother from school each week-day (his half-term was last week) and cook the God-damn diner. It suddenly becomes a whole different affair. I have only just found enough time to write this post in between boiling potatoes and watching my sole 1/2 hour of television a day. Perhaps the tutors never considered that we might like to relax somewhat before the real manic build up to exams starts. I am dreading it. I felt completely emotionally drained last year after taking just 2 GCSEs early (French and Maths). I cannot wait until the summer, breezing down the open road - to the job centre. I still intend to continue with A-levels next year but really need a job over the summer to finance an Digital-SLR camera. We all have our financial targets. Jingo's is nearly three times mine. He is gaging for a £1,500 Apple MacBook Pro. I already have a laptop but he already has a decent camera. Does this mean he will have to work triple shifts down at the local Tesco? As long as I don't have to its fine by me.

8 comments:

violet said...

Just focus on the gadgets. It's all that got me through my GCSEs - material reward. Sad eh?

Pardon my being insufferably old, but what does one do in citizenship classes? No-one's ever been able to tell me. Do you have to salute the flag and learn about kings in the olden days and how to stick your fingers in your ears and go 'lalalalala' whenever anyone mentions the slave trade?

sciurine said...

Teachers are evil beings. The education system is evil. The education system is controlled indirectly by the PM. PM is elected by us. Therefore teachers are elected by us. Thus, that makes us equally evil...muahaha.

I totally understand your frustration and anger over all that homework, particularly on holidays! If it comforts you in any way; I am struggling really hard to keep up to date with my uni studies too...

I always had a vision that one day we'll be able to digest all the content in textbooks by literally eating the pages up.

Gaz said...

It will all be worth it in the end when ye get a boss job on megga bucks though?

Torquer said...

That seems to be the way to go. Think of GCSE studies as a job with a big fat (sometimes miniscule) pay cheque at the end of it. Fortunately my loaded grandfather thinks this way. Kerching.

As for citizenship, we just learn about morale responsibility, how to complain and how the EU is draining public taxes. Sigh...

Torquer said...

It is probably much worse at university. I should feel fotunate that I only had 3 hours a day. Sciurine, you probably do more. What are you studying by the way?

I believe Jingo tried to eat a textbook once. It turned out History was undigestible.

I hope I do get a megabucks job. A degree and lots of effort is one option, the national lottery is another.

b. said...

dang... some break.

Actually, i feel almost the same way... but to a lesser extent.

Damn education systems!

Anyways, hope that you get SOME time to just chill out and do your thing Torquer...

good luck with all the smart-kid stuff.

Miao 妙 said...

Hello. My new URL is paradoxical-rose.blogspot.com. Please update, thanks! :)

b. said...

Torquer...

you need to be nicer to dearest Jing... i've decided.

oh, and have a good day.
:-)