03 February 2007

Lord of the Litter: Fellowship of the Syringe

T'was the first Saturdaye of t'month and that could only mean one thing: picking up other people's crap. Yup. Litter picking was upon us again. Me, Jingo and Robin set off into the thick swirling mists surrounding Princes' Park in Liverpool, armed with bin bags and the aptly named 'litter pickers'. We had a tough record to beat. Last time out we scored 2 condoms, 12 beer cans, 1 syringe and a managed to completely fill about 2 bins bags to bursting point. This time Robin hoped one of them wouldn't burst all over his foot.

Where as last time we excelled on the contraceptive front, this time we floundered. I found the only sexually related bounty of the expedition: one single, lousy durex wrapper. However, what we lacked in this department, we made up for with over 20 cans and bottles (including two wine bottles, one medicine bottle, ten cans of white light and assorted broken glass fragments (none of which ended up in my foot this time).

Jingo decided to dress in old jeans, an old jumper but instead of the obvious choice of old shoes, chose new, white trainers. Why? Ask him, not me. I attired sensibly for the occasion, also with a pair of much envied gloves.

The catalogue of calamitous events lengthened when Jingo trampled on a bed of newly planted daffodils towards the edge of the park. He assured me: "I'm sure they'll grow back."

After the tiresome yet CV boosting afternoon's main activity. Jingo and I checked out the job opportunities at the local Tesco store. We queued for about 20 minutes at the customer service desk as some old woman was trying to get her pension or something. The lady directly in front of us wanted a taxi to cart her elaborate and heavy purchases home, but no-one at the desk knew of a taxi number. I stepped forward boldly and brandished my Sefton Taxis business card, complete with calendar on reverse. Both women smiled and thanked me and the customer servicer called the number on the card. Since I was about to ask for a job, I could already feel the brownie points flooding into me. The number had expired.

She returned the card to me with a grimace that would have melted stone. Fortunately, my face is not made of such material, otherwise I would be enduring the deplorable British hospital system by now. The fact that a face made of stone is no cause for concern in the NHS anyway makes you wonder whether they would respond to a melted one either. Dissatisfied at me for some reason (I mean, its not like I work there or anything), the woman with the shopping lumbered off to get a bus home. Feeling depressed and embarrassed, I let Jingo do the talking, but he failed to secure us any position whatsoever. That's the last time I let him get me a job. We were told that there are usually several openings over Easter and should come back then.

Check out Jingo's alternative side of the day's events.

15 comments:

Jingo said...

I have a post in the draft about this as well! Although mine goes into more detail about the actual picking of the litter.

I'll link to yours and readers can get a dual perspective!

Miao 妙 said...

This is highly entertaining - both you and Jingo have such an appealing sense of humor.

Do you mind if I link you up? And if you are looking for a job, why not try the classified ads in the newspapers? Or maybe you can source for jobs online too - I am sure there are several helpful job-searching webpages...

Gaz said...

Cool blog,thanx for the plug.

sciurine said...

Awesome read torque! Great seeing a perspective from both you and jingo on the same topic. Mind if i link you up too?

Torquer said...

Good to hear from your guys. It took a while to perfect the title of this post post though.

About the jobs, I'll check the local papers. Small business are often more flexible than major companies in terms of hours. Looking for taxi drivers gazza?

Torquer said...

To tell you the truth though, it was an Allerton Taxis card. Sorry.

ldbug said...

I think I like this alternate-events thing you two do:-)

Sorry about the job, I'm sure you'll do better next time. (be sure to update that taxi number...you never know)

Torquer said...

Quite right Idbug. I'll have to get another taxi card quickly. Maybe gazza can help me out...

Torquer said...

What is the address of your blog Sciurine? Your profile is not enabled.

Jingo said...

Find it through mine...

We should actually consider the papers, although then we wouldn't be working together :(

We're a team. Without me your nothing!

Anonymous said...

Well it could have been worse -do any girls go on these things? That would explain Jingos interest - that park sounds quite nice to me. Don't let Miao patronise you - she has barred the inimitable Mu Tai Dong from her posts - which is either cowardice or lack of a sense of humour!

Anonymous said...

There is no one like Mu Tai on the whole of blogging, I have almost laughed myself sick at some of her things. Yet she is continually being black listed. Next week she will be my featured blog for a day - take a look Mr.T at mutaidong.blogspot.com

Miao 妙 said...

T'was the first Saturdaye of t'month...

This, by the way, reminded me of Geoffrey Chaucer.

Miao 妙 said...

Don't let Miao patronise you - she has barred the inimitable Mu Tai Dong from her posts - which is either cowardice or lack of a sense of humour!

Mutley, I call it self-protection! I prefer to remain unharrassed while I laugh myself sick reading her entries. :P

Torquer said...

Without me your nothing? What are you on Jingo. Without me you're nothing.

Note the grammar correction.